ACCESS TO INFORMATION AND PRIVACY (ATIP)
The Access to Information Act grants a right to the public to obtain records under the control of any Government institution, subject to specific exceptions and exclusions. The Privacy Act is a complementary statute whose aim is to protect individual privacy in records held by a Government institution.
Michel Drapeau Law Office has over 20 years’ combined experience obtaining records under ATIP legislation. In doing so, MDLO has appeared before Parliamentary Committees, and written many articles on the right of Privacy.
Me Michel Drapeau lectures on Access to Information and Privacy Law at the University of Ottawa and is the author of the two prominent texts in Access to Information; Federal Access to Information and Privacy Legislation Annotated and The Protection of Privacy in the Canadian Private and Health Sectors.
We provide an array of services related to Access to Information and Privacy legislation, including:
- Obtaining records under the Access to Information Act, to help in, for example
- Preparing for litigation
- Obtaining personal records (including medical records, evaluation reports etc).
- Ensuring accountability of Government departments in their spending
- Determining if you are receiving full entitlement under your pension 5. Obtaining war records for family interest or to help in constructing a family genealogy
- Protecting your Rights under Access to Information and Privacy legislation, including:
- Advising corporations about their rights if given a third party (Section 27) notice and how to respond to government institutions if their records have become subject to the Act under section 35.
- Advising institutions regarding their duties of disclosure and compliance under the Act
- Reviewing and making advance recommendations regarding Delegation Orders for government institutions.
- Other Services
- Preparation of Privacy Assessments (PPIA)
- Have personal information in government records corrected. This applies to public servants and CF members and veterans. Provide training to all levels of government and corporations on all the intricacies of the Access to Information Act and Privacy Act.
- Provide training to all levels of government and corporations on all the intricacies of the Access to Information Act and Privacy Act.